Sunday, October 2, 2011

Whoop Moffit Vienna Lager - Part 1

A significant variation on a German Lager from The Complete Joy of Homebrewing
O.G.: Unknown - whoops!
F.G.: Unknown

Ingredients:

**note that this recipe is for 4.5 gallons**

Two-Stage Fermentation

Hallertauer hops just before the long boil.
This is the brew that I originally intended to follow the We're in the Garden Belgian White, rather than the Brown Ale that I posted earlier today. As explained in the Brown's post, it was an offer I couldn't refuse, so I decided to make this one as well since I had the time and will to do so. 

Unlike most of my other brews, this one's brewing didn't go quite to plan. I recently lost or misplaced the notebook I'd been keeping notes and recipes in, so rather than starting a new one I've just been printing out recipes in the hope that I'll find the notebook at some point. Anyhow, since I didn't have the actual ingredients printed out, just the procedure, I failed to put in the ideal amount of Carafa malt (1 cup) and the proper breakdown of hops (2 oz Hallertauer boiling, 0.5 oz Tettnanger flavor, 0.5 oz Tettnanger aroma). As a result, we have a wildcard of a brew! I'm going to continue to follow the directions (i.e., let the beer ferment, then transfer to a carboy and lager the contents) with the hope that it will turn out well despite the extra dark malt and altered hop additions. Don't worry, relax, have a homebrew - right?

I guess it is a good thing that I chose to brew the Brown to coincide with the Belgian White, because the lagering process will take an additional 2-3 weeks. Let's be honest, though, I'm guessing it will depend on the amount of time I'm willing to give up the vast majority of my fridge's storage space. Anyhow, I will let you all know. 

From left to right: Fermenting Brown Ale, Bottle Conditioning Belgian White, and Fermenting German Lager

2 comments:

  1. They say the most ingenious ideas were borne of mistakes... Let's hope it holds true for your Vienna! Top notch stuff as always.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Here's to hoping! I'm guessing that it might affect the final alcohol content (perhaps upping it), but that wouldn't necessarily be a problem.

    Thanks for your feedback! Looking forward to more beer-related thoughts on your end.

    ReplyDelete